Announcements


Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 1, Honors English 10

I'm so excited to welcome you to my honors English 10 class this year!! We'll have a fantastic time together discussing BIG philosophical ideas.

Today we had a quick write where we wrote about your "favorite" book and your best assignment. You also wrote about where you might use a little English improvement.  Then we discussed existential ideas and how to ask the "right" questions. We talked about philosophers and how they impacted writing and question everything. Descartes was famous for saying, "I think, therefore I am" and other philosophers through the ages explored the question of "who am I?," "where am I going?," and other vitally important questions. The BIG questions of life. The existence questions.

Your homework then is to write about yourself. Write about who you are, in terms of what moves you. I played some "theme" songs and we discussed the kind of people were in the songs. I played:

  • "Summer Girl" by Jessica Andrews
  • "Billionaire" by Bruno Marks
  • "Imagine" by John Lennon
  • "The Story of my Life" by Neil Diamond
  • "Who I Am" by Jessica Andrews
  • "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson
  • "Who We Are" by Lifehouse